Then I saw another angel flying directly overhead, with an eternal gospel to proclaim to those who dwell on earth, to every nation and tribe and language and people. And he said with a loud voice, “Fear God and give him glory, because the hour of his judgment has come, and worship him who made heaven and earth, the sea and the springs of water.”(Revelation 14:6-7, ESV, emphasis added)
Just before the passage above, we learn that there are 144,000 blameless “first fruits” people who follow Jesus where ever He goes. Perhaps perfection is possible in this life. If one considers that there are only 144,000 in this group, that’s a relatively small number considering all the people who have ever existed on earth. Considering that, this is a select group, indeed. One in which I have no illusion of being a member.
Two more angels speak up. One condemns “Babylon” especially for her sexual immorality. The third angel condemns all those who accepted the mark of the beast. I believe that believers must focus on the eternal gospel that the first angel proclaims because, once again it is apparent that the Church will be on earth during this tribulation period since it is warned that:
Here is a call for the endurance of the saints, those who keep the commandments of God and their faith in Jesus. (Revelation 14:12, ESV, emphasis added)
This chapter ends with a visual to demonstrate what the angels are proclaiming. Jesus is seen brandishing a sickle and He reaps His harvest. Next an angel appears on the scene also with a sickle and he is commanded to reap the grape harvest of the earth which is to be trampled by God’s wrath. These taken together represent God’s judgement as proclaimed by the first angel. The grapes, are the people described by the second and third angels while those who “fear God and give him glory” are His harvest.
At the risk of sounding trite, Chapter 14 is, in essence, proclaiming that God’s Judgement is coming soon so all believers must get focused upon God. In other words, “Repent! For the end is near.”
Stay faithful my friends.
- Revelation 12 – 13: The Woman and the Dragon and the Two Beasts (christophercrandolph.wordpress.com)
- Revelation 3: Hope in Jesus (christophercrandolph.wordpress.com)
- Revelation 7: Hope Comes Before the Storm (christophercrandolph.wordpress.com)
- Revelation 10 & 11: The Little Scroll and the Two Witnesses (christophercrandolph.wordpress.com)
- Revelation 2: Testing the Faithful (christophercrandolph.wordpress.com)
- Revelation 9: All Hell Breaks Loose In Woes (christophercrandolph.wordpress.com)
- Revelation 1: Spiritual Gifts (christophercrandolph.wordpress.com)
- Revelation 1-3: The Introduction (christophercrandolph.wordpress.com)
- Revelation 4 and 5: An Image of Father and Son (christophercrandolph.wordpress.com)