And the fifth angel blew his trumpet, and I saw a star fallen from heaven to earth, and he was given the key to the shaft of the bottomless pit.(Revelation 9:1, ESV)
The last three trumpets herald woes upon the earth. The first woe is the tortuous “locusts” with the power of scorpions who are allowed to torment all the peoples of the earth except those with the sign of God on their foreheads. In the context of this book, that means that the 144,000 people from the tribes of Israel are protected from this five months of tribulation orchestrated by the angel of the bottomless pit who is “destruction” or the “destroyer”. It should be noted that killing is not allowed at this time. Even the evil one obeys our Lord.
The sixth trumpet blows and four angels are let loose on the earth to kill a third of humanity. There is no textual evidence to suggest that anyone or any people are particularly exempt from these deathly angels. They are allowed to kill one third of mankind. In fact they were purposed to do so.
And yet, after these displays of power and destruction, Humanity does not repent of its sins. But God has a plan and “in the days of the trumpet call to be sounded by the seventh angel, the mystery of God would be fulfilled” (Revelation 10:7, ESV). God has been holding back up to this time, but He’s about to reveal Himself.
I think we can take a couple things away from the trumpets so far. First and foremost we see that God is in control. For those going through these tribulations, it may not seem so. I can only imagine the chaos that will ensue as one plague after another devastates the earth. But Everything is going according to God’s great plan. Believers must stay the course and cannot be swayed from their faith. (If a spoiler is needed at this time, skip ahead to Chapter 20). Remember in whom lies our hope.
One more trumpet remains. This is getting exciting.
As we are drawn into the text, it seems that we are being drawn, with John, deeper into the mystery of God. Is this a call to deepen our personal relationship with our God? I believe so.
- Daniel Chapters 11 And 12: Have Faith (christophercrandolph.wordpress.com)
- Revelation 7: Hope Comes Before the Storm (christophercrandolph.wordpress.com)
- Revelation 1: Spiritual Gifts (christophercrandolph.wordpress.com)
- Revelation 6: The First Six Seals (christophercrandolph.wordpress.com)
- Revelation 2: Testing the Faithful (christophercrandolph.wordpress.com)
- Revelation 8: The Seventh Seal (christophercrandolph.wordpress.com)
- Revelation 4 and 5: An Image of Father and Son (christophercrandolph.wordpress.com)